Best Ever Flax Banana Bread
Studies show that adding 3 tablespoons of flaxseeds to your diet daily can slash blood cholesterol. Work toward that goal by giving your baking a boost: Substitute ground flaxseeds for some of the oil in a ratio of 3 parts flaxseed to 1 part oil. So, instead of 1 tablespoon of oil, use 3 tablespoons of ground flaxseed. If a recipe calls for 1/2 cup oil, add just 1/4 cup oil and replace the remaining 1/4 cup oil with 3/4 cup ground flaxseeds. Total Time: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + cooling. Makes 1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup BioNatures ground flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Additional chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, bananas, oil, flaxseeds, buttermilk, and vanilla; add to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Fold in nuts.
- Pour into a greased or parchment-lined 9x5-in. loaf pan. If desired, sprinkle with additional walnuts. Bake at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.