Flax Veggie Burgers
Whether you’re trying to save your pennies or joining the Meatless Monday movement, adding flaxseeds to a vegetarian burger recipe is a great way to create a meaty flavor (umami). Flaxseeds help bind the ingredients together, so ditch the breadcrumbs and blend in 1/4 cup of ground flaxseeds instead. Bonus: flaxseeds are gluten-free! Total Time Prep: 25 min. Grill: 10 min. Makes 8 servings.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup BioNatures ground flaxseeds
- 8 whole-wheat hamburger buns, split
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup salsa
- In a large, nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in carrot and spices; cook and stir until carrot is tender 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, mash pinto and black beans using a potato masher. Stir in mustard, soy sauce, ketchup and carrot mixture. Add oats, mixing well. Shape into eight 3-1/2-in. patties.
- Place burgers on an oiled grill rack over medium heat or on a greased rack of a broiler pan. Grill, covered, or broil 4 in. from heat until lightly browned and heated through, 4-5 minutes per side. Serve on buns with lettuce and salsa.