You don’t have to be allergic to eggs or vegan to try this simple swap. Flaxseeds create a viscous liquid that mimics an egg, so if you’re out of eggs, mix together 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds and 3 tablespoons of water; let the mixture rest while you gather your recipe ingredients.
- 1 tablespoon of BioNatures ground flaxseeds mixed with 3 tablespoons of water; let mixture rest while you gather your recipe ingredients
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped peeled fresh pears
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, beat brown sugar, oil, and flaxseed mixture until well blended. Beat in buttermilk. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, ginger, salt, and cinnamon; gradually beat into buttermilk mixture until blended. Stir in pears. Fill 18 paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- For the topping, combine brown sugar and ginger. Stir in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
1 muffin: 174 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.