Quick Golden Squash Soup
Swap out part of the butter or cream for 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds in a creamy soup, creating a velvety and nutty finish in soups. For the finishing touch, add a dash of whole or ground flaxseeds on top for a pop of color and crunch for the finishing touch. Total Time Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes 6 servings (1-1/2 quarts).
- 5 medium leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon BioNatures ground flaxseeds
- In a large saucepan, saute leeks in butter until tender. Stir in the squash, broth, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until squash is tender, 10-15 minutes . Cool slightly.
- In a blender, cover and process squash mixture in small batches until smooth; return all to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese; stir until soup is heated through and cheese is melted. Garnish with sour cream and onion.